Subject: Re: bug#26339: closing bootloader serie.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:14:05 -0700

Hi,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Hopefully this will unlock GuixSD-on-ARM in the not-too-distant future?
>
> Actually, I'm trying to produce a disk-image for a beaglebone black
> board. The problem I have is that a lot of packages have to be built on
> native target and qemu is really slow.
>
> So I have a naive question : why can't I cross-compile everything when
> building a disk-image ?

You could cross-compile stuff, but many packages with fail to
cross-compile.

That said, I experimented with cross-compiled GuixSD (that is, ‘guix
system build --target=foo-linux-gnu’), and I think that’s promising,
with the caveat that you have to restrict your package set to those that
can actually be cross-compiled.  Should we try to get it off the ground?

Thanks,
Ludo’.