Subject: bug#26339: [PATCH 02/18] system: Add extlinux support.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 11:51:01 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I implemented most of this split between
> bootloader-configuration/bootloader and it's waaay better !

Woow, that was fast!  :-)

> I still have one small concern. In following patches, I added boot-type
> (and boot-device) to parameters file. This allows to re-install the
> correct bootloader (on the correct device) when using "guix system
> switch-generation".
>
> What field could we store in parameters to be able to restore the
> correct bootloader ? 

Good question!  I guess we need to store the name of the bootloader type
in the “parameters” file, and then look it up upon switch-generation?
But maybe we also need to store a reference to the bootloader package so
that it isn’t GC’d?

> My initial idea was to add every <bootloader> to a list, a look it up by
> name to restore the correct bootloader. So we could store the bootloader
> name in the parameters file. This sounds a bit hack, do you have a
> better idea ?

No better idea, sounds like a good start.

I think the most important is to make sure that our current use case,
where people always use GRUB, doesn’t break.

Thanks,
Ludo’.