Subject: Re: bug#26339: [PATCH 02/18] system: Add extlinux support.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 09:38:11 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> Sorry for the delay, and thanks for reminding me of this patch.

No problem :)

> The <bootloader> record would define the implementation (GRUB, extlinux,
> u-boot, etc.) while <bootloader-configuration> would be purely
> configuration.
>
> How does that sound?
>

I implemented most of this split between
bootloader-configuration/bootloader and it's waaay better !

I still have one small concern. In following patches, I added boot-type
(and boot-device) to parameters file. This allows to re-install the
correct bootloader (on the correct device) when using "guix system
switch-generation".

What field could we store in parameters to be able to restore the
correct bootloader ? 

My initial idea was to add every <bootloader> to a list, a look it up by
name to restore the correct bootloader. So we could store the bootloader
name in the parameters file. This sounds a bit hack, do you have a
better idea ?

Thanks !

Mathieu