Subject: bug#26312: [PATCH] gnu: Add cifs-utils.

From: Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 12:52:49 +0200

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could you mention which files, since it's only three? I also think
> listing both lgpl2.1+ and lgpl3+ is redundant; if these source files
> interact in some way the result is effectively lgpl3+. If the LGPL2.1+
> code is what is installed, I would pick that since it implies LGPL3+.

The files are source/util.{h,c} (lgpl2.1+), and source/cifs_spnego.h
(lgpl3+), I'll add that in a comment.

About the lgpl2.1+ vs lgpl3+ thing, I'm a bit confused about what we
actually want to communicate with the license field (and probably about
license issues in general).  As far as I know, all code (lgpl2.1+ and
lgpl3+ files) is installed (compiled).  Because the rest of the code is
GPL3+, I think a linked binary (e.g. a substitute from hydra) can only
be distributed as GPL3+?  In addition to that, there are 3 source files,
which can are individually licensed as LGPL2.1+ and LGPL3+, which why we
specify a list of licenses, I thought?  In that case I don't really
understand why mentioning only lgpl2.1+ would be sufficient (lgpl3+ is
more strict?).

I'm just trying to understand so I get this stuff right the next time...
Not counting the license itself, the lgpl3+ file is only 25 lines :-)

cheers,

Thomas