Subject: bug#26302: Multilingual web site is on-line!

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 21:21:03 +0200

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 11:50:13PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:
> > Guix’ website is written in
> > [SHTML](https://www.nongnu.org/guile-lib/doc/ref/htmlprag/), which is
> > a variant of HTML (in which web pages are usually written) that
> 
> I think it’s technically SXHTML, no?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/SXML.html

The result is not valid XHTML.  I will just call it SXML now, which is
what the Haunt info manual calls it.

> I wonder if we should link to more practical step-by-step instructions
> on how to get started translating, to lower the barrier for those who
> want to get started without engaging in possibly open-ended discussions
> with the fabulous Guix team.  :-)

I don’t know how best to integrate step-by-step instructions.  While
the TP has instructions
<https://translationproject.org/html/translators.html>, they seem more
intimidating to me than, as a first step, talking to the helpful
people at the TP.  A few steps also describe how to disclaim
copyright, which Guix does not ask for anyway.

I propose the attached blog post draft if noone objects, taking into
account Ludo’s helpful suggestions.  Is it missing anything
interesting about the i18n system?

Should I add it to the website as a draft?  I suppose no, I suppose I
should just publish it as-is once guix-website.pot is at the TP.

Regards,
Florian