Subject: bug#26302: Multilingual web site is on-line!

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 23:50:13 +0200

Hello Florian,

(+Cc: Julien.)

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 08:58:11PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> Ohh sorry, the manual disappeared.  I suppose it is built in /srv/…/manual/?
>
> Thank you Ludo for fixing this!

That’s my modest contribution.  :-)

>> > Should we publicize a process to contribute translations?  It could be a
>> > page on the web site linked from the bottom of each page or something.
>> > Thoughts?
>> 
>> One way would be to tar up the website and send it to the Translation
>> Project.  I don’t know about the status of the Weblate plans.
>
> I would suggest sending a tar archive with the website directory of
> guix-artwork to the TP once more (ideally along with a current tarball
> of Guix proper).  Also I think even if once we use different
> technology like Weblate instead of the TP, the TP should remain the
> go-to place for our translators, because it is where many other
> projects’ translators gather.

I’m not as enthusiastic as you are about the TP but why not.
Julien, what are your thoughts?

>> > It would also be nice to have a blog post mentioning this, perhaps
>> > explaining the tools behind it, and why we think it matters.  I could
>> > contribute a paragraph on linguistic diversity.  :-)
>> > 
>> > Thanks!
>> > 
>> > Ludo’.
>> 
>> So far I think Guix always needs more users and translations help.
>> Also Scheme’s homoiconicity makes it easy to write translation macros.
>> I will think some more what I could say about this tomorrow.
>
> Please find attached a first draft blog post.

Woow, that was fast!

> title: Adding translations to Guix’ website
> date: 2020-07-28 15:00
> author: Florian Pelz
> tags: Community
> ---
> As part of [GNU](https://www.gnu.org/), Guix aims to bring freedom to
> computer users all over the world, no matter the languages they
> (prefer to) speak.  For example, Guix users asking for [help](/help)
                                                                ^
You should use absolute URLs to get valid links on, say,
<https://planet.gnu.org>.

> Guix’ website is written in
> [SHTML](https://www.nongnu.org/guile-lib/doc/ref/htmlprag/), which is
> a variant of HTML (in which web pages are usually written) that

I think it’s technically SXHTML, no?
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/SXML.html

> However, this mixing makes it more difficult to extract the strings to
> be translated.  We therefore cannot take the same approach as
> [gnu.org](https://www.gnu.org/), which uses a software called

s/a software/a software package/

> With ideas for and by a more diverse community, we can look forward to
> a bright multi-lingual future.  Please get in touch with [the
> Translation Project](https://translationproject.org/team/) or [us Guix
> developers](/contact) if you want to help make Guix’ website available
> in your language as well!

I wonder if we should link to more practical step-by-step instructions
on how to get started translating, to lower the barrier for those who
want to get started without engaging in possibly open-ended discussions
with the fabulous Guix team.  :-)

Anyway the post looks great to me!  Perhaps you should publish it once
the TP (or Weblate?) is set up?  When you publish, make sure to adjust
the date at the top and add the “About” footer at the bottom (which you
can take from the latest post).

I’ll be mostly away from keyboard in the coming weeks so you don’t need
to wait for me.

Thank you!

Ludo’.