Subject: bug#26301: 24.5; `define-derived-mode': different signatures for doc string & manual

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 00:19:27 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> > \(fn CHILD PARENT NAME [DOCSTRING] [KEYWORDS...] &rest BODY)
> >
> > So I've now done this and adjusted the rest of the doc string
> > accordingly.
>
> Sounds good.  That's what I suggested, but with the
> addition of the `...' (good).
>
> However, in that case, KEYWORDS is the _wrong_ name.

In a similar case, `define-globalized-minor-mode' uses the name KEYS
(it's the name of the &rest arg though).

> The name should be KEYWORD or KEYWORD-ENTRY or KEYWORD-PAIR or some
> such.

I all find that not better.  KEYWORD fails to say that values are
included.  KEYWORD-ENTRY and KEYWORD-PAIR are confising, they make it
look like you would have to specify conses or two element lists.

I would prefer something like [KEYWORD VALUE ...], though I guess that
would then confuse eldoc.

Michael.