Subject: bug#26300: [PATCH] gnu: milkytracker: Update to 1.0.0.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 15:37:05 +0200

Kei Kebreau <[email-masked]> writes:

> ng0 <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Kei Kebreau transcribed 1.3K bytes:
>>> ng0 <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>> >
>>> > Attribution-Noncommericial… doesn't that make them a candidate for
>>> > exclusion in systems like Guix?
>>> >
>>>
>>> Considering that the songs are data files and non-executable, the
>>> software is still free. If the sample songs turn out to be a problem, I
>>> can attempt to remove them in a snippet.
>>
>> It would help if we could document this. I don't think everyone will review
>> upstream material (FSDG and similar) for data files (music, images).
>> I would exclude CC licensed material which says "Noncommercial", but I'm
>> not a lawyer.
>
> It may also cause problems upstream as well. The software is under licenses
> with no commerical restrictions and the sample songs are under a
> noncommericial restriction, but they are shared in one tarball. That
> would constitute a conflict, right?

If my understanding of the FSDG is correct we cannot distribute these
files.  The FSDG says this about non-functional data:

    Non-functional Data

    Data that isn't functional, that doesn't do a practical job, is more
    of an adornment to the system's software than a part of it. Thus, we
    don't insist on the free license criteria for non-functional
    data. It can be included in a free system distribution as long as
    its license gives you permission to copy and redistribute, both for
    commercial and non-commercial purposes.

In this case the commercial restriction means that we cannot distribute
it.  You can remove these files in a snippet.  Could you send an updated
patch please?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net