Subject: Re: bug#26299: 24.5; Use of `…' in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 19:56:26 +0300

> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> And I see now, in the 25.1 NEWS, this item:
> 
>  ** New variable 'use-default-font-for-symbols', for backward compatibility.
>  This variable allows you to get back pre-Emacs 25 behavior where the
>  font for displaying symbol and punctuation characters was always
>  selected according to your fontset setup.  By default, Emacs 25 tries
>  to use the default face's font for such characters, if it supports
>  them, disregarding the fontsets.  Set this variable to nil to disable
>  this and get back the old behavior.

That's related, but not the same issue as what I was talking about.
This variable is relevant when the default face's font can display a
symbol or punctuation character.  That is not your case, so in your
case this variable and the change in code which it disables are not
relevant.

As for the change in the default fontsets, it was done to better adapt
Emacs to the fonts that are usually installed on user machines, and
there's no reasonable way to describe the effect without knowing what
fonts are installed and which one is used for the default face.  So
that change is not in NEWS.