Subject: bug#26299: 24.5; Use of `…' in Info

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:18:40 -0700 (PDT)

> > The character is fine in Emacs 25.2.1, both in emacs -Q and with
> > my setup.  And the font is Symbola in both.
> >
> > The problem is apparently in Emacs 24.5.
> 
> Ah, okay, that explains everything: we've changed the default fontset
> in Emacs 25.1 to use Symbola for punctuation and symbol characters.
> In earlier versions you'd need to set up the fontset to do that in
> your customizations.

Thanks for the explanation.

And I see now, in the 25.1 NEWS, this item:

 ** New variable 'use-default-font-for-symbols', for backward compatibility.
 This variable allows you to get back pre-Emacs 25 behavior where the
 font for displaying symbol and punctuation characters was always
 selected according to your fontset setup.  By default, Emacs 25 tries
 to use the default face's font for such characters, if it supports
 them, disregarding the fontsets.  Set this variable to nil to disable
 this and get back the old behavior.

I guess that explains it (though I would have expected also a NEWS
item about the behavior change, separate from that item mentioning
a new variable).