Subject: bug#26299: 24.5; Use of `…' in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:24:24 +0300

> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 19:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Dunno whether you want a separate bug report for this, but here
> is a related problem that is even worse, IMO: The character
> RIGHTWARDS ARROW FROM BAR (#x421) is no good in Info, at least
> in some fonts. It is too narrow. Previously Emacs used `==>'
> instead of that char. See attached screenshot, where the font
> is (for some reason):
> -outline-MS Gothic-normal-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-jisx0208*-*
> The font for the rest of the chars in that screenshot is:
> -outline-Lucida Console-normal-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1.
> Don't ask me why Emacs uses that font for that char - I have no
> idea. (And yes, to Eli's typical response to questions about
> fonts for odd chars, I do have Symbola installed. But Emacs
> doesn't seem to use it, here.)

Granted, I cannot reproduce this.  I tried on 2 systems, and on both
this character (whose codepoint is #x21a6, btw, not #x421) is
displayed using Symbola.

Does this happen for you in "emacs -Q" as well?  If not, can you tell
what customizations related to fonts or faces do you have that could
cause this?

If "emacs -Q" shows the same problem, then I guess it's some issue
related to what fonts you have installed (e.g., could it be that your
Symbola is outdated and doesn't cover that character?) or something
like that.  I could propose a couple of solutions if that is the case,
if you want to solve it locally.