Subject: Re: bug#26268: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-idle-highlight.

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:54:42 +0300

Vasile Dumitrascu (2017-03-27 01:39 +0200) wrote:

Hello Vasile!

>     * gnu/packages/emacs.scm (emacs-idle-highlight): New variable.
> ---
>  gnu/packages/emacs.scm | 21 +++++++++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 21 insertions(+)
>
> diff --git a/gnu/packages/emacs.scm b/gnu/packages/emacs.scm
> index 4fe2ffa4d..02f92bc26 100644
> --- a/gnu/packages/emacs.scm
> +++ b/gnu/packages/emacs.scm
> @@ -3960,3 +3960,24 @@ abbreviation and automatically expand it into function templates.")
>     (description "@code{emacs-memoize} is an Emacs library for
>  memoizing functions.")
>     (license license:unlicense)))
> +
> +(define-public emacs-idle-highlight
> +  (package
> +    (name "emacs-idle-highlight")
> +    (version "20120920.948")
> +    (source
> +     (origin
> +       (method url-fetch)
> +       (uri (string-append
> +             "http://melpa.org/packages/idle-highlight-mode-"
> +             version ".el"))

We don't (at least we shouldn't IMO) use files from MELPA.  The problem
is: once the original source will be updated on github, MELPA will build
it and the previous MELPA version will not be available anymore.

So I think it's better to use the original source which is:

  https://github.com/nonsequitur/idle-highlight-mode/archive/1.1.3.tar.gz

Could you send an updated patch with this tarball?

Sorry, I missed your previous emacs packages (symon, monroe and
keyfreq), which are committed already, but eventually they will become
"broken": for example, when there will be a new commit in "monroe"
repository, MELPA will build the new version and the current
"monroe-20170220.540.el" file will be removed from MELPA, so the current
'emacs-monroe' package could never be built after that.

The situation was much worse in the past, when MELPA updated even
untouched(!) packages every several hours, so their hashes were changing
all the time, so the files from MELPA couldn't be used at all.
Nowadays, MELPA updates packages only when there are some changes in the
source.

> +       (sha256
> +        (base32
> +         "083ihf97a20l9pbqgn9jh6vdx97z40mp2fhi17qs90a16hpfhx5j"))))
> +    (build-system emacs-build-system)
> +    (home-page "http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IdleHighlight")

For me it is redirected to
<https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IdleHighlight> so I think it's better
to use this page.

> +    (synopsis "Highlights all occurences of the word the point is on")
> +    (description
> +     "@code{idle-highlight-mode} sets an idle timer that highlights all
> +occurences in the buffer of the word under the point.")

Usually we mention "Emacs" in synopsis or description, like:

"This Emacs package provides @code{idle-highlight-mode} that sets an
idle timer to highlight all occurences in the buffer of the word under
the point."

> +    (license license:gpl3+)))

-- 
Alex