Subject: Re: bug#26268: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-idle-highlight.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 10:49:45 +0200

Hi Vasile,

Vasile Dumitrascu <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   I agree with your observations. To explain my previous choice: I was
> using melpa as source for the packages as I have found the option to
> import from melpa in
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Invoking-guix-import
> so I thought that this is the recommended approach. The document should
> be updated to mention this as not recommended for contributions, for the
> reasons you have mentioned.
>
>   Maybe rather we should have a predefined import task that easily
> imports from github or git based repositories (I could not find one in
> the docs).

You’re right, there’s no such thing.

The difficulty here is that the importer gets package info from
melpa.org (or elpa.gnu.org) and AIUI, this info does not include the URL
of the upstream repo.  That’s why we have to do that step manually,
which is arguably suboptimal.

Not sure how to improve it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.