Subject: bug#26243: 25.1; `dired-pop-to-buffer' warning

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:13:15 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> If code uses function `dired-pop-to-buffer', this is the byte-compiler
> warning you get:
>
> `dired-pop-to-buffer' is an obsolete function (as of 24.3);
> use `dired-mark-pop-up' instead.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That is a ridiculous warning.  `dired-mark-pop-up' is about acting on
> each of the marked files and directories.  `dired-pop-to-buffer' pops
> up a single buffer.
>
> There is zero connection between `dired-mark-pop-up' and
> `dired-pop-to-buffer'.

Those functions seem to have little to do with each other; yes.  So I've
now removed the reference.

It was added with a reference to bug 1806, which is a 170 message long
thread which I've not read.  I've Cc'd Juri (who made the change) in
case the reference makes sense anyway, in which case I'll revert my
change.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no