Subject: bug#26242: 25.1; `dired-shrink-to-fit' warning

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:08:20 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> If code uses variable `dired-shrink-to-fit', this is the byte-compiler
> warning you get:
>
> Warning: ‘dired-shrink-to-fit’ is an obsolete variable (as of 24.3); use the Customization interface to add a new rule
> to ‘display-buffer-alist’ where condition regexp is "^ \*Marked Files\*$",
> action argument symbol is ‘window-height’ and its value is nil.

[...]

> What on Earth is the point of the convoluted recipe given in that
> warning?

Because the variable is going away and if somebody had a customisation
for that, it's nice to let them know how to change it.  But it seems
unlikely that anybody would change that variable, as both you and the
comments point out.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no