Subject: 25.1; Re: emacsclient in 25 branch: error opening any file

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:48:05 -0700

Hi,

I'm writing to know about the status of this bug:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-06/msg00036.html

which is affecting me as well. I get the same "Waiting for Emacs...
*ERROR*: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil" after emacs has been running
for a while.

I don't have time to fix it, but it would be nice to be notified when
I can safely install the latest version of Emacs (and if there is some
workaround). And I hope that whatever information is provided in this
report may be of help...

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.7)
 of 2017-02-07 built on arojas
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading ess-site...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el.gz...
uncompressing cc-mode.el.gz...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el.gz...done
Loading /home/frederik/.emacs.d/my-compile-next-makefile.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
When done with a buffer, type C-x # [2 times]
Making completion list...
command-execute: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, emacsbug
When done with a buffer, type C-x #

Load-path shadows:
/home/frederik/.emacs.d/elpa/ggtags-20161022.251/ggtags hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ggtags

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
term/xterm xterm ggtags etags xref project ewoc cc-mode derived cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs
cc-bytecomp jka-compr rx edmacro kmacro autorevert filenotify ido
ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt+ thingatpt browse-url ess-menu
ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d
ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp
ess-sp6-d ess-dde ess-sp3-d ess-julia julia-mode ess-r-d ess-r-syntax
ess-r-completion ess-roxy essddr noutline outline hideshow ess-help
ess-r-package ess-s-l ess ess-inf ess-tracebug tramp tramp-compat
auth-source cl-seq gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice
ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils time-date ess-generics ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site savehist iflipb bind-key compile
easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring cl help-fns+ wid-edit help-fns server
finder-inf eieio eieio-core cl-macs info package epg-config seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 314741 13644)
 (symbols 48 32291 0)
 (miscs 40 105 193)
 (strings 32 56044 12435)
 (string-bytes 1 1604987)
 (vectors 16 45714)
 (vector-slots 8 786482 3733)
 (floats 8 352 370)
 (intervals 56 305 0)
 (buffers 976 23))