Subject: Re: bug#26233: 26.0.50; [PATCH] Improve documentation for display-buffer-alist

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:54:42 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> in Bug#25946 we discussed how to replace the obsolete variables
>> special-display-buffer-names and special-display-regexps.  The
>> attached patch extends the doc string of display-buffer-alist based
>> on that discussion.
>
> Thanks.  Personally I'd prefer having that in the Elisp manual.  Either
> in a new subsection or at the end of section 27.14 Action Functions for
> `display-buffer'?  Code in doc-strings is sometimes tedious to read.

Very short (like a couple of lines) I think is fine in doc strings, but
more than that should go in the manual (with, perhaps, links from the
doc string).

But in this case we're talking about adding pointers to variables that
were obsoleted six years ago (four at the time of this bug report), so I
don't think either is really worth doing at this point.  So I'm closing
this bug report; please reopen if you disagree.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no