Subject: bug#26233: 26.0.50; [PATCH] Improve documentation for display-buffer-alist

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:25:38 +0100

Hi there,

in Bug#25946 we discussed how to replace the obsolete variables
special-display-buffer-names and special-display-regexps.  The
attached patch extends the doc string of display-buffer-alist based
on that discussion.

Best wishes
Jens

>From 10c5930b3056aa8366f1c4e02b24ba3de3f79058 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?Jens=20Lechtenb=C3=B6rger?= <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:09:15 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Improve documentation for display-buffer-alist

The obsolete variables special-display-buffer-names and
special-display-regexps refer to display-buffer-alist.  As a follow-up
to Bug#25946 this change extends the doc string for that variable.
* list/windows.el (display-buffer-alist): Extend doc string.
---
 lisp/window.el | 15 ++++++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/window.el b/lisp/window.el
index 5050243..c5c3e89 100644
--- a/lisp/window.el
+++ b/lisp/window.el
@@ -6792,7 +6792,20 @@ display-buffer-alist
 `display-buffer' scans this alist until it either finds a
 matching regular expression or the function specified by a
 condition returns non-nil.  In any of these cases, it adds the
-associated action to the list of actions it will try."
+associated action to the list of actions it will try.
+
+If you aim to replicate behavior of the obsolete variables
+`special-display-buffer-names' or `special-display-regexps',
+you may want to add something similar to the following to your
+init file (which places buffers whose names end with
+\" output\" into separate frames):
+(customize-set-variable 'display-buffer-alist
+			'((\".* output\"
+			   (display-buffer-reuse-window
+                            display-buffer-pop-up-frame)
+			   (reusable-frames . t))
+			  ))
+(setq display-buffer-mark-dedicated t)"
   :type `(alist :key-type
 		(choice :tag "Condition"
 			regexp
-- 
2.1.4