Subject: bug#26231: 25.1; eww-open-file of downloaded html page fails redirect

From: Andrea <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 23:55:11 +0000

Hello,

thanks a lot for maintaining this fantastic editor: it was my start in
the lisp world and I am really grateful!

I am having fun extending org-feed to download the whole contents of
feeds. To do this I am automatically downloading the relating html page
and opening it with eww-open-file.

It is a couple of times that I get an error with some particular html
pages: they contain an element <noscript> which forces the refresh of
the page.

Strangely, opening this sort of pages with eww-open-file fails the
redirection. For example with the attached html page (saved in the /tmp
directory of a Linux system) I get:

url-file: File does not exist: file:///tmp/’http://blog.getpostman.com/2017/03/14/going-native/?utm_source=All+contacts&ModPagespeed=noscript’

I can fix this by removing the <noscript> element of the html with
"sed", but I thought that you may want to be aware of this strange
behaviour: why does eww try to lookup the redirection reference locally
if it is an http address?

Thanks again for the great Emacs!

All the best,

Andrea

----

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.31)
 of 2017-02-22 built on localhost
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking
 --prefix=/nix/store/c7q3xa60rw6wvdgvfs737jsvpxc8h771-emacs-25.1
 --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --with-xft'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8