Subject: Re: bug#2910: 23.0.60; Shell-script coloring bug

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:06:57 -0400

> I don't know what's the decision (if there is one) about situations like
> these.  If the bugs in lang-mode are fixed by lang-ts-mode, will these
> bug reports be treated as: wontfix? fixed? open in case someone wants to
> spend time in lang-mode?

AFAIK we don't consider the `foo-ts-mode` to obsolete the other modes.
Maybe we will, but we don't yet.  IMO I think we'd first need to have
a good long-term strategy about what we'll do when tree-sitter becomes
unmaintained/obsolete.  IOW I think we need to develop our own layer of
abstraction above tree-sitter so that we can accommodate other
parser backends.

FWIW, it's not clear at all what such a layer would look like, so we're
pretty far from it.  I'd welcome people start thinking about it, maybe
by looking at existing alternatives like our own `wisi` (in GNU ELPA),
SMIE, maybe LSP (assuming there are servers out there which can provide
that kind of functionality), etc...

> - Wrong indentation for lines after:
> for i do echo 1; done
>
> I took a look at this, and ISTM that giving "do" a special treatment
> like sh-smie--sh-keyword-p gives to "in" might fix this, perhaps by
> reusing sh-smie--sh-keyword-in-p.

Sounds about right.

        Stefan