Subject: bug#26202: Guix in foreign distributions: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS causes user session to not start

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:44:02 -0300

It turns out that the XDG_DATA_DIRS bug is due to foreign distributions
using some Xsession.d scripts that do tests to check if that variable is
empty, and if it does exist, then they do nothing. This causes the
system to simply not set XDG_DATA_DIRS to useful values for foreign
distributions, thus leaving the user with a never-ending log-in loop.

So what must the user do?

1. Test without setting XDG_DATA_DIRS, and take note of its value.

2. Set XDG_DATA_DIRS as Guix tells you to, however, replace the
following part:

${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS

With the following:

:[Value that you took note of, without this surrounding braces.]

I hope this helps. :)

Respectfully, Adonay.
-- 
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre, por isso não uso. Iguais a ele prefiro
  Ring, ou Tox. Quer outras formas de contato? Adicione o vCard que
  está no endereço acima aos teus contatos.
- Pretende me enviar arquivos .doc, .ppt, .cdr, ou .mp3? OK, eu
  aceito, mas não repasso. Entrego apenas em formatos favoráveis ao
  /software/ livre. Favor entrar em contato em caso de dúvida.
- "People said I should accept the world. Bullshit! I don't accept the
  world."
                                                 --- Richard Stallman