Subject: bug#26201: No notification of cache misses when downloading substitutes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:32:39 -0700

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:55:05 +0100
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> wrote:
> To clarify:
> 
> - Warnings should be scary because warnings should be actionable.

There are warnings and there are errors. Warnings don't have to be
scary; I get them every time I update emacs because of duplicate icons
stored in two different directories in the store. Is that actionable?
Not as far as I am concerned, unless I want to hand delete something
from the store, which, as far as I understand it, shouldn't be done.

>   There's nothing the user can or needs to do about a cache miss.

Please reread the 2nd part of my response in Message #23 in this
bugreport for why this is needed.

> - It would be randomly shown to everyone, since this happens
> constantly.

Unless mirror.hydra randomly loses data in it's cache from hydra, it
won't be random in the least.

> - The behaviour warned about is not incorrect or abnormal.

No, but the behavior would inform the user that the unusual and random
slowdown isn't another problem and is because mirror.hydra is having to
update it's cache, which, as I explained before, is useful information.

> [...]

Quite frankly I'd like someone else to take a look at this bug, if
for no other reason than I'm not sure if we're communicating clearly
with each other here. Most of what you are saying makes no sense
whatsoever and seems to miss the point I have attempted to make.

While I will thank you for actually writing a patch, saying "the
caching proxy is working properly! and there's nothing you can do about
it." seems rather cynical and clearly misses the point of what I'm
requesting here.