Subject: bug#26180: Remove motif toolkit support

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 09:26:14 +0200

>> As a matter of fact, the only person affected by such a change in the
 >> positive sense could be me: I'd have one build less to care about.
 >
 > If you are really saying that only you would benefit from this
 > simplification (?), then I disagree with you.

Can you tell me where Motif support is hindering progress in any other
area?

 >> Still, it's sometimes reassuring when both Lucid and Motif handle a
 >> strange case the same way.
 >
 > If this is the best (so far the only?) reason to keep Motif,
 > then it's pretty weak, IMO.

If it's our aim to reduce the number of bug reports, the best solution
would be to remove GTK support and make the Motif build the default one.
I still don't get it why you so fervidly want to remove sane and stable
branches from the Emacs tree.  Spring-cleaning?

martin