Subject: bug#26176: closed (Re: bug#26176: What to do about unmaintained frameworks like [email-masked] in Guix?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 05:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#26176: What to do about unmaintained frameworks like [email-masked] in Guix?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26176: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26176
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26176: What to do about unmaintained frameworks like [email-masked] in Guix?
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 22:11:10 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> Several packages still depend on [email-masked], which is
> unmaintained upstream and surely contains many serious security
> vulnerabilities.

We've removed webkitgtk-2.4 in commit
38039b4fa917c7516535167fb082ea63850ee578, which has been merged into
master (according to 'git branch --all --contains
38039b4fa917c7516535167fb082ea63850ee578'), so I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
Chris

Subject: What to do about unmaintained frameworks like [email-masked] in Guix?
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 16:44:14 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

We do a good job of deploying security updates to [email-masked].
Typically, we push the update within 24 hours.

However, several packages still depend on [email-masked], which is
unmaintained upstream and surely contains many serious security
vulnerabilities.

$ guix refresh -l [email-masked]
Building the following 6 packages would ensure 10 dependent packages are
rebuilt: aria-maestosa-1.4.11 wxmaxima-16.04.2 filezilla-3.24.1
elixir-1.3.2 kicad-4.0-1.4ee344e audacity-2.1.2

People who install these packages probably do not expect to install
software containing publicly disclosed security vulnerabilities.

We should try to make these packages use a maintained version of
webkitgtk.

If that's not possible, what should we do?

Here is a primer on the tangled world of webkit forks and versions:
https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/

It states that distros should not expect [email-masked] to receive
security updates:
------
We could attempt to provide security backports to WebKitGTK+ 2.4. This
would be very time consuming and therefore very expensive, so count this
out.
------