Subject: Bug #26170 Hunting: doc: Explanation of propagated-inputs unclear

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 13:14:05 +0100

Dear Florian,

You report this bug [1] a couple of years ago about unclear
explanations of the term propagated-inputs.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26170

The explanations of propagated-inputs are here [2] and short words are
there [3]. Tey have not been changed since your report.

[2] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/package-Reference.html#package-Reference
[3] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html#Invoking-guix-package

You proposed:

<<
 1) that `propagated-inputs` are automatically installed *to the Guix
profile* and not just the Store like regular inputs and
 2) that C/C++ libraries do not need to be propagated because they can
just as well be loaded from the Store *unless* their header files are
included by header files of another input package (?) and
 3) more examples like the above example for GNOME Evolution (which
however I have yet to finish packaging and submit as a patch; maybe
dconf is a better example – I presume it is also needed at run time and
not just).

And I agree. I also had issue and I remember asking on IRC explanations.

Do you have already a patch? If no, do you plan to prepare one?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

All the best,
simon