Subject: bug#26164: time-difference mishandles leap seconds

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 19:12:49 -0500

Zefram <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>                                                       every UTC day has
>>exactly 86400 UTC seconds,
>
> No, that's not how UTC works.  There are some time scales derived from UTC
> that have exactly 86400 seconds for each UTC day, such as Markus Kuhn's
> UTC-SLS, or that have exactly 86400 seconds per UTC day in the long run,
> such as Google's "leap smear".  But SRFI-19 doesn't refer to any of those,
> it refers to UTC.

BTW, I discussed this with John Cowan at length in bug 22034, starting
at message #19:

  https://bugs.gnu.org/22034#19

In particular, I would be curious to know how you would fill in the same
table that John attempted to fill in, here:

  https://bugs.gnu.org/22034#55

What numbers would you write in the second column of those tables?

    Thanks,
      Mark