Subject: Re: bug#26164: time-difference mishandles leap seconds

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 08:47:46 -0500

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:03 AM Zefram <[email-masked]> wrote:

Mark H Weaver wrote:
>
> No, that's not how UTC works.

Everything Zefram says is what I was trying to say and failing.

I would only add that:

1) TAI-UTC refers to broken-down time, not to the count
of seconds since some epoch.  TAI-UTC is currently 37 seconds, which means
that at 2018-11-05T13:43:00 UTC time (approximately when I am writing this)
it is
2018-11-05T13:43:37 TAI time.

2) Posix time, unlike UTC really does label leap seconds with the same
integer as the
preceding second.

> >Having said all of this, I should admit that I'm not an expert on time
> >standards,
>
> I am.
>

He is.

-- 
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        [email-masked]
There is no real going back.  Though I may come to the Shire, it will
not seem the same; for I shall not be the same.  I am wounded with
knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden.  Where shall I find rest?
                --Frodo