Subject: bug#26158: Gnome starts unreliably

From: Joshua Branson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:48:36 +0000

Yes sir.  I've tried logging in multiple times.  I did it just now to be
sure.  I tried logging in 3 times for each of the desktops I have
installed: Gnome on X, Gnome (which I assume is on wayland), and on
xfce.    I could not log in.  But when I tried logging in as root, it
worked just fine.  :)   Just to reiterate, I can login to a virtual
console. 

If I could get Emacs' erc to work on a virtual console, I'd complain a
little less perhaps. 

P.S.

Herein follows a slightly related rant, in which I think out loud.  I've
heard about Guix developers logging into a virtual console and working
from that, which sounds totally B.A.  The reason that doesn't work for
me at the moment, is that I've told erc to store my irc passwords in
.authinfo.gpg.  AND emacs from a virtual console does not properly
decrypt the file, so I can't use erc on emacs in a virtual console.  The
error I get says pinentry not installed, but I know I have installed it
before.  I did just reconfigure, so maybe I should have to install it
again.  I suppose that I could write some elisp, to check if the current
system is guix.  If yes, then don't use .authinfo.gpg.   Then I would
have to figure out how to mail via emacs, which I've done before.  That
way I could contribute to guix whilst inside guix.

Joshua