Subject: bug#26158: I can only start an X server in guix as root

From: Joshua Branson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:01:54 +0000

Hello,

I've responded to this email on the guix-bugs emailing list located 
here: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26158

I did try a guix system vm /path/to/config-file.scm;  and I could still 
not log into guixSD.

I think I might create another guix user.  If I can't login as joshua, 
perhaps I'll try logging in as "rupert" and see if that works (I'll do 
this via editing my config file and running guix system reconfigure).

Thanks,

Joshua

On 03/19/2017 05:04 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> So I’m not going to be of much help, but I want to rule out the obvious:
>> For me most of the time GNOME starts only on the second log-in attempt
>> on GuixSD. I assume you have tried logging in multiple times in a row?
> That is weird.  Does ~/.xsession-errors contain any hints after a failed
> attempt?
>
> Also, did you try to reproduce it in a VM as produced by ‘guix system
> vm’?  If it’s reproducible in a VM, we could start debugging in
> parallel.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>