Subject: Re: bug#26157: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add fmt.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:33:43 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 04:54:01PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> * gnu/packages/pretty-print.scm (fmt): New variable.
>> +                    "https://github.com/fmtlib/fmt/archive/"
>> +                    version ".tar.gz"))
>> +              (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
>
> This is one of those repo snapshot tarballs that GitHub automatically
> generates when you make a new tag or release. I think we should use
> 'fmt-3.0.1.zip', because that was prepared specially for the release by
> the upstream maintainers.

Good catch! Somehow I assumed it was a pre-compiled download or
something, since the package does not use autotools. I've changed to
this source.

>> +    (synopsis "Small, safe and fast C++ formatting library")
>
> I'd leave "safe" out of the synopsis. Like saying it's "different" or
> "secure", it's only meaningful when we say what it's safe from. For
> example, safe from a wildebeest stampede, or from printf format-string
> attacks ;) There's space for this in the description.

Agreed :)