Subject: 20.0.91; coredump if cannot find stuff on startup

From: "Marshall, Simon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:34:11 -0000

I have built emacs on one Solaris machine under my home directory and
attempted to run it on another.  It dies like this:

Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.91/etc/)
does not exist.
Error: charsets directory (/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.91/etc/charsets)
does not exist.
Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
Please check your installation!
Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I suspect the warning are a bit of a red-herring because they do not
existing on the build machine either.  Unfortunately, I cannot debug
emacs on the run machine.  However, pstack tells me:

core 'core' of 8466:    pemacs -Q
 feb46398 kill     (b, 0, ffbd9928, 1, 38d801, 370c00) + 8
 feb45924 __sighndlr (b, 0, ffbd9928, fb4b0, 0, 1) + c
 feb3a868 call_user_handler (b, 0, 0, 0, ff3a2000, ffbd9928) + 3b8
 0009a134 decode_char (ffbfdf28, 0, 0, ffbd9c68, 477540, 8e92a2) + 538
 000b2148 decode_coding (ffbfdf28, 374800, 37f000, 379800, 375400,
ffbe9d6c) + e4
 000b4088 decode_coding_gap (ffbfdf28, ffff937e, ffff937e, 40020000,
38d801, 40000000) + dc
 0012de1c Finsert_file_contents (4, 88bd53, 0, 36410, 370c00, 38d801) +
87c
 00167e20 Ffuncall (6, 3a2109, 370c00, 37e800, ffbfe1e4, 1) + 454
 0019cc34 Fbyte_code (ffbfe1e0, 370c00, 4c, 33dee8, 3fffff, 370c00) +
b08
 00167784 funcall_lambda (21c3b4, 4, 4, 37f000, 0, 370c00) + 178
 00167c14 Ffuncall (5, 3fa999, 370c00, 37e800, ffbfe3a0, 4) + 248
 00167fe8 call4    (3fa999, 88bdc3, 88bdc3, 38d831, 38d831, 375c00) + 1c
 0018b288 Fload    (370c00, 38d831, 38d831, 4, 0, 377c00) + 6a4
 00167e20 Ffuncall (6, 3b4e89, 370c00, 37e800, ffbfe694, 4) + 454
 0019cc34 Fbyte_code (ffbfe690, 370c00, 34, 33dee8, 3fffff, 370c00) +
b08
 00167784 funcall_lambda (244914, 0, 4, 0, 0, 0) + 178
 00167970 apply_lambda (244914, 38d801, 1, 0, 0, 0) + b4
 00167008 Feval    (37e800, 1665a0, 1666c8, 0, ff3f42e8, 0) + 240
 001665ec internal_condition_case (101664, 39ec91, 105438, 0, 0, 0) + f0
 00105168 top_level_1 (370c00, 1666d0, 0, 0, 408e30, 37ec00) + 30
 001666e0 internal_catch (39d169, 105138, 38d801, 398000, 0, 0) + b8
 00105230 command_loop (377400, 38d801, 398000, 1, 0, 0) + 80
 001055c0 recursive_edit_1 (439000, 38d801, 0, ffbfebec, ffbfed7c, 2b) +
64
 00105720 Frecursive_edit (0, 377c00, ff9fab3e, fffffffe, 80808080,
1010101) + fc
 000faa6c main     (0, ffbfed5c, 37f400, 37f000, 1de3b0, 0) + b20
 000493a0 _start   (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0) + 5c

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Motif Version 2.1.0)
 of 2009-02-26 on risksun2
Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.100015
configured using `configure
'--x-includes=/usr/openwin/include:/usr/dt/include:/usr/local/include:/u
sr/local/X11/include'
'--x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/X1
1/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=motif' '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no'
'--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

"Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.