Subject: RE: bug#2614: 20.0.91; coredump if cannot find stuff on startup

From: "Marshall, Simon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:27:19 -0000

> I have built emacs on one Solaris machine under my home directory
and attempted
  > to run it on another.  It dies like this:
  > 
  > Warning: arch-independent data dir
(/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.91/etc/) does
  > not exist.
  > Error: charsets directory
(/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.91/etc/charsets) does
  > not exist.
  > Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
  > Please check your installation!
  > Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  > 
  > I suspect the warning are a bit of a red-herring because they do not
existing
  > on the build machine either. 

> They should be on the build machine, they are in the emacs source
tree,
> in emacs/etc/charsets.

What I meant is that they are not on the build machine _in the
directories_ that Emacs says it expects to find them.  (As I implied, I
do not install pretests, I run them from where I build them.)  Since
Emacs does not crash when run on the build machine, I figure that the
warnings are misleading.

At the very least, Emacs should not coredump.  Emacs 22.3 doesn't
coredump.

"Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.