Subject: Re: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 13:56:50 +0100

Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andreas,

>> Later on we've added the kqueue library, which works reliably only
>> watching files. This breaks the unification attempt, but I don't believe
>> we shall change the behaviour again.
>
> Ok, I try to find it, but note that this behavior was introduced with
> the following (kqueue-only) commit
>
> commit 7bf54d01159eb09bae3c9cd86f2af0812d9afdf6
> Author: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Fri Jan 22 19:56:09 2016 +0100
>
>     Backport kqueue integration from master

My FreeBSD 10 VM has been reanimated. Last time I've used it was June
2016, so everything is dusty there.

As time permits, I'll check the kqueue vs remote handlers status.

> Maybe we can work on unifying the behavior across back-ends at a later
> time, while taking some pointers from other projects, e.g.
> https://github.com/emcrisostomo/fswatch .

Looks interesting, but I have no idea about its state. Last commit is
from 23 Jul 2016; is it still maintained actively?

A similar approach like fswatch is the already integrated gfilenotify
library. Honestly, this is the most problematic backend.

> -ap

Best regards, Michael.