Subject: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:37:46 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:44:52 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>> Sure, the back-ends mostly watch directories, except for kqueue.  But is
> >>> this behavior also intended to be propagated to the clients of
> >>> filenotify.el ?
> >>
> >> Yes.
> >
> > Why is that ?
> 
> We've discussed this a while ago, main reason (IIRC) was to achieve
> same behaviour for the different libraries.

That discussion was about local notifications, where indeed the
situation is like you describe.

But Andreas asks about calling remote handlers, about which we by
definition know much less.  In that context, it might indeed make
sense to pass the file, not its parent directory, because the handler
can easily reconstruct the parent directory if that's what it needs.
By contrast, there's no way for the handler to intuit the file which
was stripped.

WDYT?