Subject: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:23:53 +0100

Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sure, the back-ends mostly watch directories, except for kqueue.  But is
> this behavior also intended to be propagated to the clients of
> filenotify.el ?

Yes.

>> We've discussed this years ago, maybe you find it in the archives. There
>> are problems when you watch only the file. This doesn't work for example
>> when you want to watch a file which does not exist yet. Or which
>> disappears, and reappears.
>>
>> The agreement was to watch the upper directory. This works for all
>> backends except kqueue.
>
> Sorry, for not being clear: I was exclusively talking about
> file-name-handler here.  Passing the intended filename is more general
> then passing the directory only.  Think of some program foonotify, which
> is similarly limited like kqueue.  Granted, this scenario probably won't
> come up very soon.

We have only two different programs for the remote case, gvfs-monitor-dir
and inotifywait. Coincidentally, I'm also the Tramp maintainer, so I
know what I am saying :-)

> -ap

Best regards, Michael.