Subject: Re: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 20:36:51 +0100

Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> I took a deeper look filenotify.el and found some problems/have some
> further questions. Note that I use inotify.
>
> + A watched hard-link for some other file may not receive its events,
>   due to string-equal being used for file-comparisons.  Shouldn't
>   file-equal be used instead ?

How does inotify (and the other libraries) work in this case? Does it
support hard links? We should not add more logic than the native
libraries offer.

> + Watching a /dir/file may receive events (e.g. touch /dir) for dir.

Could you pls give an example?

> + Why the seemingly arbitrary exclusion of backup-files in
>   file-notify-callback ?  What if someone wants to track the creation of
>   said files ?

When a file under supervision is renamed during backup, the supervision
might be stopped. This case must be handled.

> + Why is the existence of kqueue checked for the handler in
>   file-notify-add-watch ? After all we don't know how this handler will
>   operate.

Why don't we know what kqueue does?

> -ap

Best rewgards, Michael.