Subject: Re: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 18:12:17 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Which works also over file names, like "http://host/path/to/file".
>>
>> If you think that's a file, how about this:
>
> I don't think it's a file; beause I don't know anything about it. 

Then I'm confused, since I didn't mean to suggest that file-name-handler
work on anything other then strings.

>> (file-notify-add-watch "http://www.google.com/?s=foo" '(change) #'ignore)
>> => File notification error: "Directory does not exist", "http://www.google.com"
>
> What's wrong with this? `url-handler-mode' hasn't implemented
> `file-notify-add-watch'. 

Yes, but the point is how would you ?  By restricting watches to
directories, you are also forcing every handler to have a concept of
such an entity and to be able to watch it; rather then the original
"filename".

>> (hypothetical-emacsfs-mode)

> No problem.

Let's backtrack.  

I was suggesting that providing the given filename as an argument to the
file-handler is more general than using it's directory.  Your point as I
understood it, was, that the existing file-notify-add-watch
tramp-handler work just fine with directories, therefore such a change
is not needed.

My argument is that there may be other ways of using the
file-name-handler machinery, and I was presenting some examples.

I also fail to see any disadvantages (of using the given filename).

-ap