Subject: Re: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 17:37:45 +0100

Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Which works also over file names, like "http://host/path/to/file".
>
> If you think that's a file, how about this:

I don't think it's a file; beause I don't know anything about it. I
think it's a file name, which makes a difference.

> (url-handler-mode)
> (find-file "http://www.google.com/?s=foo")
> (file-notify-add-watch "http://www.google.com/?s=foo" '(change) #'ignore)
> => File notification error: "Directory does not exist", "http://www.google.com"

What's wrong with this? `url-handler-mode' hasn't implemented
`file-notify-add-watch'. In such cases, the original implementation is
applied. And `file-notify-add-watch' is right in saying that this
"directory" doesn't exist, from its pov.

> or this
>
> (hypothetical-emacsfs-mode)
> (find-file "/efs/recentf/some-recent-file")
> (find-file "/efs/bookmarks/some-bookmark")

No problem. Write a file name handler which takes responsibility for all
files whose names start with "/efs", and here we are. It would still be
a handler which is called based on the file *name*.

> -ap

Best regards, Michael.