Subject: Re: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:57:10 +0100

Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> This touches the question whether we're operating under the assumption,
> that other Lisp-code (apart from filenotify.el) may freely call
> inotify-add-watch or not.  Because if it does, this has to be handled in
> inotify.c.  Otherwise we may handle it in filenotify.el .

It is still possible to call inotify-add-watch and companions. However,
we don't force this use; the Elisp manual decribes only filenoty.el
functionality.

And I don't know any example people are using initofy-add-watch directly.

> If I do it in inotify.c: Is it possible to store a bit-mask (of type
> uint32_t) in a Lisp_Object ? Since this would be the easiest make this
> change.

Sure, but Emacs integers guarantee you only 30 bits. But why do you want
to do this? You could map your bit mask into a complex Lisp object, a
vector with 32 slots, or whatever. This makes access/manipulation in
Lisp much more simple.

> -ap

Best regards, Michael.