Subject: bug#26126: 26.0.50; file-notify-rm-watch removes arbitrary watches

From: Andreas Politz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 18:43:33 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Politz <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>> * inotify_add_watch internally uses a single watch per directory, which
>>>>   may be shared by multiple clients (using filenotify.el).  The problem
>>>>   here seems to be that these clients may use different FLAGS as
>>>>   argument to file-notify-add-watch.  [...]

> So I would let it for you to implement it in inotify.c. When there is
> also a respective test, we will see whether it is a problem for other
> backends, too.

This touches the question whether we're operating under the assumption,
that other Lisp-code (apart from filenotify.el) may freely call
inotify-add-watch or not.  Because if it does, this has to be handled in
inotify.c.  Otherwise we may handle it in filenotify.el .

If I do it in inotify.c: Is it possible to store a bit-mask (of type
uint32_t) in a Lisp_Object ? Since this would be the easiest make this
change.

-ap