Subject: Changes to layout of manual/ directory for web pages

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:22:20 -0400

Package: emacs

Apologies for just noticing this. It seems like the layout of the
manual/ directory for the Emacs web pages changed in an (IMO) odd way a
few months ago, and I'm wondering if it was intentional.

There used to be pages like this for all the manuals:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/mairix.html

A short index page that links to the various formats for each manual.

A few months ago, most of those pages were changed to look like this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/ses.html

No longer an index page, but a duplicate of the html_mono/ version.
Was this a mistake?

This change left no index pages for the different versions of the
various manuals. It looks like (based on the log messages in the CVS
repo) this was reported as a bug to the GNU webmasters, and they added
some new index pages (emacs-formats.html etc) in an attempt to fix this,
but only for the 3 main manuals.

Should this all just be reverted?

As it stands, I can't see where the html_node/ versions for the non-main
manuals are linked anymore, and the (large) html_mono pages are
duplicated, and pointed to by default.