Subject: bug#26104: 26.0.50; In Ubuntu, having mouse over other frame cause Alt key to produce a <switch-frame> event

From: Jonathan Ganc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 16:23:44 -0400

I'm currently trying to understand the issue better, but I think Compiz 
Settings just allows to access to more settings (I think Compiz is part 
of Unity; on my computer, there's always a compiz process). So I think 
it is actually preventing Ubuntu from sending the event when Alt is 
pressed, not intercepting Alt, i.e. it doesn't actively do anything.

On 04/15/2017 03:39 PM, martin rudalics wrote:
> > Heh, it looks like they copied the MS-Windows (mis)feature, whereby
> > tapping the Alt key activates the menu bar, which would indeed require
> > a focus-in event; seems like some GNU/Linux distros have joined this
> > lunacy.  In the MS-Windows build, we have w32-pass-alt-to-system to
> > control that.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, on MS-Windows you can activate the menu bar of a
> window via the Alt key iff that window has focus already.  I still fail
> to understand how pressing the Alt key could transfer focus to another
> window.
>
> > Perhaps we should generalize w32-pass-alt-to-system instead? Assuming
> > an application can control this behavior on GNU/Linux, that is.
>
> If Compiz can, Emacs should be able to do that too.
>
> martin