Subject: bug#26102: movemail can't connect mail server

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:49:57 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:14:19 +0800
> 
> I can't receive mail using rmail. When I use the command(movemail -p
> "pop://hengaini:[email-masked]:995"), I get the following errors:
> 
> > d:\emacs-25.1\libexec\emacs\25.1\x86_64-w64-mingw32>movemail -p
> 'pop://[email-masked]:995' Test.mbox 'password'
> > movemail -p 'pop://[email-masked]:995' Test.mbox 'password'
> > movemail: Invalid argument for 'pop://[email-masked]:995'
> 
> Is this a bug?

No, I don't think it's a bug.  But you expect some features that
aren't supported by movemail.

First, movemail that comes with Emacs doesn't accept pop:// "URLs", it
only accepts the form po:USERNAME:HOSTNAME, so you need to invoke it
like this:

  movemail -p po:hengaini2055:163.177.72.198:995 Test.mbox password

Second, Windows doesn't support '..' style of quoting, you need to use
the ".." style instead.

And third, movemail that comes with Emacs doesn't support the ":port"
part of the POP inbox (":995" in your case).  I'm guessing that you
are using port 995 because your POP server requires SSL/TLS
connections, in which case that's another problem: movemail that comes
with Emacs doesn't support such connections.

So you need first find a version of movemail from GNU Mailutils, which
can support all those missing features.  Then you need to configure
Rmail with the name of your POP mailbox, so that Rmail will invoke
movemail correctly.  And then it will work.