Subject: Re: bug#26102: movemail can't connect mail server

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 20:15:02 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We already find movemail from Mailutils, if installed, before we find
> our own.  And our movemail requires zero maintenance.  In this
> situation, removing our version means just removing features, no more,
> no less.  I'm against removing features for no good reason.

It's your decision to make, of course.
(I'd be interested to hear what your co-maintainer's position on this
general issue is.)

I want to point out that answering (or reading) this bug report (and the
previous help-gnu-emacs post) is an act that takes maintainer time,
therefore the maintenance cost is not zero.
(Obviously Paul and I have increased the short-term cost by starting a
discussion, but the cost was there before.)
And when anyone needs to read (whether or not they change it) the
relevant support code in rmail or lib-src/Makefile, that's a cost too.
Yes, the cost is very small, but these things add up over time.

We clearly don't have enough people to maintain the code we have.
So personally I'm pro-simplification - expect more reports along those
lines from me, and I'll expect similar responses from you. :)