Subject: bug#26066: 26.0.50; vc-git-status gives wrong result

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:45:36 -0400

retitle 26066 vc-git-status gives wrong result when called from outside repository
severity 26066 minor
found 26066 24.5
found 26066 25.2
quit

(list 
 (let ((default-directory "/"))
   (require 'vc-git)
   (vc-git-state "/home/npostavs/src/emacs/emacs-master/README"))
 (let ((default-directory "/home/npostavs/src/emacs/emacs-master/"))
   (require 'vc-git)
   (vc-git-state "README"))) ;=> (added up-to-date)

Jonathan Ganc <[email-masked]> writes:

> I get this same behavior on emacs 24.5, 25.1. I have some ideas about
> how to fix the problems but I want to make sure this isn't somehow the
> expected behavior.

I doubt this particular behaviour is expected, but it's probably
unexpected that you would call vc-git-status from outside the repo.  If
you can fix things to handle this case without harming the normal case,
that sounds fine to me.