Subject: Re: bug#26066: 26.0.50; vc-git-status gives wrong result

From: Jonathan Ganc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 15:22:39 -0400

On 04/30/2017 09:57 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>
> I'm sorry about the delay as well.
>
No worries.
>
>> If this bug is unchanged, people using vc-state have to ask 
>> themselves: "if the backend is git, I have to bind default-directory 
>> but if it's not, I don't." That is inconsistent with vc agnosticism.
>
> However, not all other backends bind default-directory. Bzr doesn't, 
> as one example. Hg and SVN seem to do that, though. If you have a 
> chance to experiment with some other popular ones, please do.
>
But it's not clear to me that bzr needs to bind it. In other words, git 
needs to bind it get a working answer and perhaps bzr doesn't. 
Unfortunately, I only know git. If I get a chance I'll look at some 
others but I've never used them.

Community message: If anyone else who uses other VC systems is reading 
this, it'd great to know if vc-state gives the correct answer if 
default-directory is bound to a random directory!

> But what about the problems like "I don't have to bind 
> default-directory when calling vc-state, but I still have to do that 
> when calling other backend commands"?
>
This is just about clarification: are you thinking that one possible 
solution is not to have any of the vc code bind default-directory, i.e. 
that the caller might always be responsible for that?