Subject: bug#26053: No release notice in 25.2 rc2 ChangeLog

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 20:57:25 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:22:45 -0400
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > So you are saying that ChangeLog in the emacs-25.1 tarball was just
> > Nicolas's personal file?  Then avoiding that in 25.2 should be easy:
> > Nicolas should make sure he doesn't have such a file when he runs
> > add-release-logs.  Right?
> 
> I don't really get what you are saying.
> 
> I believe the procedure I've tried to document and implement in
> make-tarball.txt and admin.el make sense, but then I would think that.
> It already checks for a personal ChangeLog.

Yes, and it seems to have detected, correctly, that ChangeLog should
not be tagged with the "Emacs 25.1 released" entry.  So the procedure
works fine, thanks.

I was just wondering how come we have a ChangeLog (in addition to
ChangeLog.2) file in the 25.1 tarball, and that ChangeLog has only one
entry, about updating AUTHORS.  My hypothesis is that Nicolas ran
add-release-logs, which correctly put the release entry in
ChangeLog.2, and later updated AUTHORS, leaving the log entry in
ChangeLog.  make-tarball then added that ChangeLog to the tarball.

> Feel free to improve the system or replace it as you see fit.
> Frankly I suspect no-one cares about ChangeLogs.

I think we do care, otherwise this bug would have been closed right
away or ignored.