Subject: Re: bug#26050: 25.2; configure: no libxml2 support with libxml2 installed

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:13:40 -0500

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM, N. Jackson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Is it my imagination, or was there a time in the past when
> configure printed a friendly message suggesting the installation
> of the development package for a library when it failed to find
> something like this?
>

This is the case for image libraries (xpm, jpeg, png, gif, tiff) and
gnutls, so you may be thinking of that.

configure.ac lines 3591-3616:

dnl Check for required libraries.
MISSING=
WITH_NO=
if test "${HAVE_X11}" = "yes"; then
  test "${with_xpm}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_XPM}" != "yes" &&
    MISSING="libXpm" && WITH_NO="--with-xpm=no"
  test "${with_jpeg}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_JPEG}" != "yes" &&
    MISSING="$MISSING libjpeg" && WITH_NO="$WITH_NO --with-jpeg=no"
  test "${with_png}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_PNG}" != "yes" &&
    MISSING="$MISSING libpng" && WITH_NO="$WITH_NO --with-png=no"
  test "${with_gif}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_GIF}" != "yes" &&
    MISSING="$MISSING libgif/libungif" && WITH_NO="$WITH_NO --with-gif=no"
  test "${with_tiff}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_TIFF}" != "yes" &&
    MISSING="$MISSING libtiff" && WITH_NO="$WITH_NO --with-tiff=no"
fi
test "${with_gnutls}" != "no" && test "${HAVE_GNUTLS}" != "yes" &&
  MISSING="$MISSING gnutls" && WITH_NO="$WITH_NO --with-gnutls=no"
if test "X${MISSING}" != X; then
  AC_MSG_ERROR([The following required libraries were not found:
    $MISSING
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
If you don't want to link with them give
    $WITH_NO
as options to configure])
fi