Subject: bug#26037: 25.1; perl-mode add syntax support for subroutine signatures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 20:49:21 -0400

[Please use Reply All to keep [email-masked] on CC]

Subject: Re: bug#26037: 25.1; perl-mode add syntax support for subroutine signatures
From: Evgeni Kolev <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:00:32 +0200

OK, I see.

After a bit of testing with C-u C-x =, I see that with my proposed
change the sigils in 'sub test ($)' will *not* have punctuation class
as they did before the chagne.

I see these options:

1. I can try to improve the proposed change to preserve backward
compatibility - I can try to add another rule which will strictly
match only the allowed prototype-sigils $%&*;@[\]

2. discard my proposed change as it might have undesired side effects -
at this point, I don't see anything in perl-mode which depends on
these prototype-sigils having punctioation class, however, I could be
missing something.

3. accept my proposed change as-is, but we must be sure nothing will
be broken as a result.  I'm sure syntax highlighting will not be
broken (I've tested with different themes, different perl sub
definitions).

Please let me know what you think.

I ran git blame against the relevant lines, and turned up Bug#18502.
Please check if your change breaks the indentation test case at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18502#5.