Subject: 25.2; help-echo should show in echo area when point is in text

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 08:10:19 -0700

Make sure you have font-lock enabled, open a new .el file and insert:

'(("^[ \t]*\\(?:\\* .*\\)?\\(([^\n)]*,\\s-*\\)$"
   (1 '(face font-lock-warning-face
	     help-echo "Continue function lists with \")\\n(\".") t))

(This snippet comes from log-edit.el)

For me the final "t))" is given font-lock-warning-face.
It also has this text property:

  help-echo            "Hidden behind deeper element; move to another line?"

... which is very useful information!

However, the only way I can see this (other than describe-char) is to
hover over the highlighted text with the mouse.

I think it would be handier if this text were displayed somewhere when
point was in this area.  Some other error-displaying programs, like
flycheck (I didn't look at flymake) will do this already; I just think
it should be standard across Emacs.

Tom

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.8)
 of 2017-03-02 built on bapiya
Repository revision: 6e788ef0e262fafc014c21f4ad52cc5dc9f1715b
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11901000
System Description:	Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install/ --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-agent-group-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 0k from mail.tromey.com
No more unseen articles
Expiring articles...done
Mark set
(New file)
Mark set
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
Saving file /tmp/q.el...
Wrote /tmp/q.el

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/play/bubbles
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(descr-text pulse find-file bubbles gamegrid derived view rust-mode
log-view bbdb-sc supercite regi org-bullets org-element org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view image-mode
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs gnus-html xml url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf gnus-draft xref
project mail-hist nnir url-util url-parse url-vars shr-color shr dom
subr-x browse-url flow-fill mm-archive smiley gnus-cite gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry
eieio-compat eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader cus-edit find-dired bug-reference
texinfo vc-mtn vc-hg tabify man term/xterm xterm shadow emacsbug
network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias smtpmail sort mailcap
bbdb-message sendmail mail-extr vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs whitespace log-edit message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds shell rx dabbrev eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func copyright debug add-log vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode misearch multi-isearch jka-compr flyspell ispell
diminish edmacro kmacro projectile grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer dash
appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs which-func
imenu minimap autorevert filenotify cus-start cus-load status
erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit erc-hl-nicks
color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt pp warnings advice vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb
bbdb-site timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist
finder-inf dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads eieio-core
lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look cl-seq cl-macs cl
weblogger-autoloads info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
bbdb-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1245333 485082)
 (symbols 48 130591 50)
 (miscs 40 23637 3542)
 (strings 32 495599 189532)
 (string-bytes 1 12347481)
 (vectors 16 100488)
 (vector-slots 8 2293931 69018)
 (floats 8 880 1450)
 (intervals 56 63969 485)
 (buffers 976 114))